Baby development experts who travel all over the world and study baby care practices have repeatedly observed that babies whose parents carry them in slings are calmer and cry less. Traditional baby carriers have been used all around the world for hundreds of thousands of years. Babywearing is an ancestral practice that existed long before it was popularized in the West.
Nowadays, researchers agree that babies behave and develop better when we hold them for several hours a day. Carrying your baby in a baby carrier, sling or backpack has many advantages for you as a mother and your baby! Mom’s busy life gets much easier. Babywearing is practical, you can have your hands free, and most babies like being able to see the world from up high. 👶
Find below some emotional, physical, and practical benefits of babywearing:
- The baby can hear your heartbeat which reminds him of the sounds of the womb
- Your voice regulates the baby’s movements
- Babies who are carried cry less, have more frequent meals, and sleep better. They don’t waste their energy crying, but in growing up
- Your baby’s head and neck control are improved. Moreover, the development of his core stability muscles and the sense of balance are reinforced because babies are actively using their muscles to maintain their position in the sling
- The baby builds a strong bond with you resulting in less colic, whining, jerky movements, anxious thumb sucking, irregular breathing, or disturbed sleep
- The position where you can see your baby’s face, can lead to frequent verbal and non-verbal interaction, enhancing speech and social development
- Sling facing away is also beneficial because gives the baby gentle stimulation to learn about the environment around. Experiencing a wide variety of stimuli helps babies’ brains to develop to their full potential
Important factors to consider:
- Safety. Your baby’s nose and mouth must not be covered by the sling. One hand should always be free for the baby. Do not wear the baby when cooking in front of the kitchen or cycling. When wearing a toddler, remember that he is at such a height that he cannot pick up dangerous or fragile objects.
- Comfort. You should not burden your neck and back. Decrease the risk of accruing unnecessary neck and upper back pain during the life of the sling.
- Flexibility. Find a sling that can be used from the beginning of birth until 2 years old, so that you don’t have to buy a series of baby carriers as the child grows.
- Suitability for breastfeeding. Find a sling that you don’t have to take your baby out to breastfeed. Breastfeeding in the sling makes life easier for moms, especially if the baby is doing marathon feedings or is in a growth spurt. Some babies nurse better on the go.
- Borrow and try different slings to see which one suits you best.
- Every child has their own preferences on how they want to be carried and every parent has their own preferences on how to do it.
Sling is a must for every mom. I highly recommend the following slings and carriers depending on the use you are looking for:
It has 3 carrying positions, a comfortable fit with ergonomic positioning. It is made of soft, stretchy material and comes in one size, making it quick and easy to share among caregivers. Machine washable, easy to store, recommended weight: 0m+ | 8-35 lbs (3.6-15.8 kg)
Chicco Sidekick plus 3-in-1 hip seat carrier
Super comfortable with ergonomic shoulder straps & natural sitting position. It distributes weight to reduce strain on the back.
The absolute child carrier! Suitable for outdoor adventures, perfectly engineered to fit the needs of both children and parents. Aircontact Lite back system helps reduce perspiration. This carrier is great to use if you like hiking and want to bring your child along.
Consider all the factors above and find the sling or carrier that meets your preferences and your lifestyle the most. Your life will be much easier when you will be attached to your baby and you will keep doing everything you want with your hands free! 💪 🤗
Please share with us your thoughts! Which baby carrier or sling was the best for you?💕 Leave your comments bellow! 😊